Hey, everyone! I thought for this week’s post, I’d share some of the songs that inspired and fueled Caged. I’ll type a little bit about every song to give you some background info!
- The Beginning by Factor Eight: I absolutely love this song. All of Factor Eight’s songs are instrumental and series soundtrack fuel. I listened to this one on repeat!
- Human by Christina Perri: This one’s sort of obvious. I mean, the entire story is about Eden’s limitations as a human and fighting to keep that humanity. She’s only human, ya know?
- Human by Rag’n’Bone Man: Another sort of obvious one. “I’m only human after all. Don’t put your blame on me.” I think this is Eden talking to herself. She does a lot of self-blame and deals with a lot of regret.
- Liberty by Factor Eight: I can’t speak enough for this band/group. There’s a part of this song, though, that quotes Charlie Chaplin’s speech from the Great Dictator.
“Greed has poisoned men’s souls, has barricaded the world with hate, has goose-stepped us into misery and bloodshed. We have developed speed, but we have shut ourselves in. Machinery that gives abundance has left us in want. Our knowledge has made us cynical. Our cleverness, hard and unkind. We think too much and feel too little. More than machinery we need humanity. More than cleverness we need kindness and gentleness. Without these qualities, life will be violent and all will be lost….”
I mean, if that doesn’t sound like Caged, then you obviously haven’t even read it.
5. To Be Human by Sia: I heard this song while watching Wonder Woman, and Oh My Goodness. “To be human is to love, even when it gets too much.” I mean, Eden’s downfall is her unending love!! Come on!
6. Helium by Sia: Um… I really like Sia’s voice. I think I went down a hole when I was song-hunting. This one’s another love song, but its all about vulnerability and wishing you didn’t need help but REALLY NEEDING IT ANYWAY. “Yeah, I wanted to play tough, thought I could do all this on my own but even Superwoman sometimes needed Superman’s soul.” Eden’s a beast, but she really needed a helping hand.
7. Rise by Katy Perry: Whoo, does this song give me vibes. I mean, it’s literally all about not giving up and rising when everyone thinks you’re going to fail. Eden much? “This is no mistake, no accident / When you think the final nail is in, think again / Don’t be surprised, I will still rise.” Gives me the heeby-jeebies.
8. Rainbow Connection by Trespassers William: I’m pretty sure this song is originally from the Muppets or something like that, but I like this indie version a lot better. In Caged, Eden tells Knox about how her mother used to sing the same lullaby every night. This is the lullaby. It makes me weepy.
9. Lightning by Little Mix: I mean, this is just a power anthem. LOL
10. The Coldest Winter by Pentatonix: I’m a Pentaholic as is, but this song just EXUDES the spooky, sad vibes of Caged.
11. Run by Awolnation: Who doesn’t like this song? I listened to it on repeat when I was writing the fight scenes. LOL Also, the opening line is “I am a human being, capable of doing terrible things.”
12. Out Loud by Gabbie Hanna: I thought about taking this out, ’cause of all the Gabbie hate going around, but I can’t deny how much I love this song. It’s basically about not being able to let go. This will be much more applicable for the sequel, but… I love it.
13. Rise Up by Andra Day: This power anthem speaks for itself. If you don’t sing along to this song, something’s wrong with you. I scream-sing this song. You have to.
14. Wild Hearts Can’t Be Broken by Pink!: “There’s not enough rope to tie me down. There’s not enough tape to shut this mouth. The stones you throw can make me bleed, but I won’t stop until we’re free. Wild hearts can’t be broken.” It’s like Eden’s personal motto, y’all.
15. Dark On Me by Starset: All of Starset’s songs feel like I’m watching an epic space sci-fi and make me feel totally immersed. This one specifically fit my vibe, though. It’s about loneliness, being abandoned, feeling lost… “You’re the cause, the antidote, the sinking ship that I could not let go, who led my way and disappeared. How could you just walk away and leave me here?” Knox and Eden vibes, amiright?
The entire playlist can be found here for your listening pleasure! I hope it inspires you as it has me.